Versatile design engineer with extensive experience in hardware and
software systems and integration. Implementations range from single
microprocessor embedded applications to multi-node networked systems.
Special considerations include hardware redundancy, database integration
and user interfaces. Good organizational and communications skills.
Managed diverse teams resulting in successful products and implementations.
Excellent documentation skills addressing both technical and non-technical
Assembler for PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, IBM-360, 8080/5, 8051, Z80, 64180, Bit slice
Many proprietary, DOS, QNX, Windows, Linux including m
CLinux, and FreeTOS
Other software experience
PostgreSQL, MSAccess and FoxBase databases
Proficient in MSWord, Excel, MSVisual C/C++, Borland C/C++ and GNU tools
PDP-11 UNIBUS, LSI-11 Q-BUS, Multibus I, PC ISA and PCI buses
8080, 8085, Z80, 64180, 8051, 80188/6, 68EN360
RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, Ethernet
DMA Master, Interrupt
Microchip PIC18, PIC24
ARM TI and NXP(Freescale)
Pitchfork Solutions (2002 to present)
See the primary web site at
Pitchfork Solutions. In this capacity, I have continued to provide
hardware and software design services to a wide variety of clients.
Patapsco Designs, Inc., Frederick, MD (1984 - 2002)
Patapsco Designs provided custom electronics design and manufacturing services.
The services provided for any particular project would be customized to the
client's need. Thus, any specific project could involve hardware design,
software design, and manufacturing, or any combination.
Staff Engineer (1998 - 2002)
- Responsible for hardware and software design for systems ranging from
microprocessor based embedded controllers using proprietary OS as well
as mCLinux to process control systems
based on DOS and Linux.
- Embedded hardware designs based on Intel 80188, Motorola 68EN306, and
Coldfire 5272 processors. Several designs were also based on the Intel
8051 and derivative microcontrollers. Some applications utilized standard
appropriate for the application.
- Networking with IP was an integral part of many efforts. TCP/IP and UDP/IP
code was written for both Client and Server applications.
- Many designs interfaced to databases such as Microsoft Access or PostgreSQL.
- HTML has been used to define the user interface.
IT Manager (1992 - 1998)
- Managed a team of three and grew the company PC usage from 5 PCs to over
120 PCs including servers.
- Implemented first PC based database program to support Purchasing and
- Transitioned the company to a full MRP system utilizing client/server
- Responsible for implementing in-house e-mail system and later providing full
Design Engineer (1984 - 1992)
- Responsible for both hardware and software designs for embedded systems.
The majority of the design effort was for the Zilog Z80 and Intel 8051
(or derivative) processors. Other architectures such as bit-slice designs
were used as appropriate.
- Software was written in assembly language or C as appropriate for the specific
- Most designs involved serial protocols (RS-232, RS-485, etc.) as well as
process control and data collection.
- Implemented a fully redundant monitoring and control system that ran
Frederick Community College, Frederick, MD (1991 - 1992)
- Taught basic physics. This required the ability to teach algebra and
geometry to students who were non-majors.
Digital Systems, Walkersville, MD (1982)
- This was an attempt to move into new areas. For various reasons, it
didn't work out.
Frederick Electronics Corporation, Frederick, MD (1974 - 1984)
Frederick Electronics Corporation specialized in Telex switches which
were sold internationally.
Staff Engineer (1976 - 1984)
- Involved in research on both packet switching and high speed circuit
- Principle engineer for the ELTEX IV, a TDM based switch handling both
data and voice.
- A member of the ELTEX design team working in both hardware and software.
Instructor (1974 - 1976)
- Established a customer training program to provide the customers with
information, background and experience to maintain both the hardware
and software aspects of their systems.
- Designed and produced customer oriented documentation.
Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA (1970 - 1974)
- Instructed all levels of the undergraduate physics curricula - both
majors and non-majors.
- Directed the laboratory efforts including procedure writing and lab evaluations.
- Instrumental in making computing services available to students.
BS, Physics, Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA
MS, Physics, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
Research: Remote determination of wind through the use of backscatter.
MS, Computer Science, Hood College, Frederick, MD
Research: Use of HP/GL as input for process control
Sigma Pi Sigma (Physics Honor Society) Inducted 1967
American Association of Physics Teachers 1967 - 1974
American Institute of Physics 1967 - 1974
IEEE since 1977
"Analog Simulation of the Bouncing Ball Problem", American Journal of Physics, 1969
"The ELTEX II Telecommunications Exchange", ISSC '76, Kyoto, Japan
"Integrated Services Switching", Telecommunications, September 1979
"The Use of Linux in an Embedded System", on-line publication of Linux Journal
to be found at:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3555 , December, 1999.
Last updated: March 24, 2020